As you all know I have been using soap beads for years to do my laundry. Overall I have been very satisfied with using these to clean my clothes. However, there have been a couple of issues that I have found over the years using soap beads.
- Finding the soap bead satchel, when trying to put the wet clothes into the dryer. I don’t know how many times I have just thrown the clothes in the dryer without checking first. So, I had to dig through this pile of wet clothes to locate the satchel. I know it isn’t a huge deal, but it is an extra step.
- There are no suds. The soap bead shells create their own “soap” like cleaning solution in the washing machine. However, I am one that if I don’t see it, is it really happening. Therefore, I have issues with not being able to actually see the soap working.
- The smell. There is no smell when using soap beads. So, not only can I not see the soap working, I also cannot smell the soap.
I really wanted to use something natural and not rely on chemicals and commercial cleaners to clean my clothes and soap beads were a great alternative. My teenage son has not been impressed at all. He likes to smell fresh and clean and using the soap beads he has been missing that aspect of laundry soap. Not to mention the kids are constantly drying my satchel of soap beads. Once they go through the dryer I throw them out because they are all dried out.
I was willing to compromise on all of these things, so that I could use an all natural, better for the environment product. Then a company reached out to me and asked if I would be willing to write a blog post about their eco-friendly packaged laundry detergent. I was ecstatic because this was the first company to reach out to me to collaborate. Of course, I said yes.
They sent me a receipt of all the products they were going to send me 4 packages of laundry sheets, each able to wash up to 32 loads, that is 128 loads of laundry. I couldn’t believe it, they didn’t even ask for shipping costs. After a short period of time I received the products in the mail and was so excited to try this new product.
Let’s first talk about the packaging. It comes in a flat cardboard box that is completely recyclable. According to the website https://www.tru.earth/Tru-Impact, each of these boxes reduces the landfill by one plastic bottle. The company also donates laundry detergent to local community organizations for every 32 loads purchased. They began this due to the COVID-19 shortages of cleaning supplies.
If you have been following along on my homesteading journey you know that I try to reduce the amount of chemicals that me and my family use and consume. So, I was happy to see that TruEarth prides itself on these:
Now that we know that this detergent is good for the environment and the community, lets talk about how easy it is to use. I load my dirty clothes into the washing machine. I then rip off a square of the laundry sheet and throw it directly in the washing machine with my dirty clothes. I close the door and I hit start. The sheet dissolves in the water and I have clean clothes.
- Free of added dyes
- Free of chlorine bleach
- Free of 1,4-dioxane, as certified by independent laboratory tests
- Readily biodegradable in accordance with 301D
- Hypoallergenic, certified by independent dermatologists
- Vegan: no animal-based ingredients or testing on animals by us or our ingredient suppliers
The other great thing about this product is that I can pronounce every item on the ingredient list
- Vegetable Glycerin: plant-derived from soy softener
- Starch: plant-derived from maize biodegradability booster
- PVA (polyvinyl alcohol): biodegradable supporting matrix
- Potassium Sorbate: Food grade preservative
- Light Mineral Oil: Used in manufacturing as a processing aid. (not an active product ingredient)
- Cocamido propyl betaine: coconut oil based, biodegradable amphoteric surfactant (cleaning agent) and foam booster
- Sodium Gluconate: plant-derived and food-grade, biodegradable water softener that prevents soil from resettling on fabric after it has been removed during washing
- Sulfonic acids, C14-16-alkane hydroxy and C14-16-alkene, sodium salts: biodegradable surfactant (cleaning agent)
- Glycereth cocoate: plant derived and food grade, biodegradable water softener
- Caprylyl Glucoside, Octyl Glucoside: non-ionic surfactants (cleaning agents)
- Fragrance oil blend (not used in Fragrance Free): natural essential oils and synthetic ingredients
- Residual Water
I have been using this product for about two months and I am very happy with the product. My clothes smell fresh, clean and feel great. If you are looking for an environmentally friendly laundry detergent go check out https://www.tru.earth/Store. They have other cleaning products as well; like toilet bowl cleaner, multi service cleaner, sponges, dish clothes, cotton swabs and so many more. If you sign up with your email you get 10% off your future purchase.