A Halt to Our Plans

Since the wide spread panic of COVID-19 all of our homesteading plans have halted.

Those of you that follow my Youtube channel, know that we had made the choice to finish projects and remodel our mobile home, so that we can move to our dream property. This was a big step for us, since we have lived here for almost a decade. The kids have made lots of memories here and at least one of the kids really loves it here.

However, our current place is in New Hampshire, and I am just so sick of the weather. We want to be somewhere warm, but also somewhere that has all four seasons. We wanted cheaper cost of living and lots of land to start our family farm.

We decided to move to Missouri and plant our roots. We have been looking for months and were planning a trip during April school vacation to go visit and look at all the cute little towns we had been researching.

We wanted to have our mobile home completely renovated by the end of May, so we could start officially looking for a place to buy. At first we thought of buying a very cheap place in MO and carrying two mortgages. Then we started renovations in our current home and quickly decided we wanted a move in ready home. So, the option of carrying two mortgages for any long period of time is now out of the question.

Then the COVID pandemic hit and businesses were closing and my husband’s business slowed down significantly. We had to make some tough decisions and have not been able to continue with any of our renovations. So many projects had to be put on the back burner. We are not sure what tomorrow brings, so we don’t want to spend any extra money renovations right now. Therefore, I am living with an unfinished kitchen and bathroom. They are functional, but definitely not complete.

My daughter is in 10th grade and we are okay with moving for her junior year. However, if we don’t move this summer, it just wouldn’t be fair to move either mid year or for her final year of high school. My son is a freshman so w decided that it was okay with moving him before his sophomore year. We discussed our plans with them and they both agreed to move. My son is a little more reluctant than my daughter, but he eventually agreed to the move to Missouri. There is apparently a lot of gorgeous skate parks in Missouri.

Now I am sadden by the possibility of having to stay in New Hampshire. I mean I have some family here, that I love to spend time with, but my I can see my dream slowly slipping away.

I could continue to build my homestead where I am, but there is a ton of work that would need to be done in order to bring animals on the property. Not to mention continuing to live in this state where the winters seem to last FOREVER!

Photo by Djordje Petrovic on Pexels.com

I just hope that this pandemic gets under control and we are able to go back to our normal lives soon. My husband and I are both fortunate to be considered essential so we still have income. Don’t get me wrong I am very thankful that I still have an income and a place to live. This has just put a damper on my dreams. I know there are people getting sick and people are dying and I am still healthy. I just wish things were different and we could go back a few weeks ago when everything was “normal”

I will keep you updated on how our plans change of the next few months and once all of this calms down and we are able to make a final decision on where our homestead will be. So stay tuned and stay safe.

Comments are closed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: