My husband said to me a few weeks ago, “No more fluoride for the kids”! I had the same reaction that you are probably having right now. How do we brush out teeth or go to the dentist without using fluoride? I mean won’t my children’s teeth rot out of their heads?
How can fluoride be bad for us when so many towns and cities add it to their water? Our dentists use it every 6 months for our regular cleanings and it is in our toothpaste.
He immediately googled fluoride and several websites came up noting the dangers of using fluoride. Who knew? Did you know that fluoride is used in rodenticides and pesticides to kills pests like rats and insects! Yes! We brush our teeth everyday with the same ingredient we use to kills ants or mice!
There are many towns in our country that add fluoride into their drinking water. Even bottled water has fluoride in it. Did you know that 99% of Western Continental Europe has banned or stopped using fluoridation due to environmental, health, legal or ethical concerns.*
Here are just some of the risks of exposure to fluoride*:
- Weakens skeletal health-skeletal fluorosis. This is where the liver is unable to process fluoride and it passes into the bloodstream, where it combines with calcium. You are left with weak bones.
- Harmful to the Thyroid-Fluoride reduces thyroid function and is actually used in treatment of individuals with overactive thyroids. The same level that is used to reduce thyroid function is the range used in fluoridation of drinking water.
- Arthritis-Fluoride has been shown to cause calcification of cartilage, degenerative osteoarthritis has been linked to skeletal fluorosis.
- Harmful to male and female fertility-higher levels of fluoride corresponds to lower fertility rates, especially with drinking water levels of 3ppm. It can reduce reproductive hormones in woman and lower testosterone and fertility in men.
- Kidney Health-there is a higher rate of chronic kidney disease has been reported in areas where the water contains high levels of fluoride.
- Cognitive Effects-children living in fluoridated areas have a greater chance of developing low IQ compared to those that do not.
- Harmful to Cardiovascular system-fluoride causes cardiovascular inflammation nd atheroscierosis.
These things were alarming enough for me to start thinking of other options for my family. I immediately went on Pinterest searching for alternative toothpaste recipes and products. I recently tried this recipe, but it was a little gritty for me. I am thinking I need to use more coconut oil and less baking soda.
Then I decided to search for products that were sold in stores or online and I was surprised ad the many different options available.
I have even found a holistic dentist that does not use fluoride in their practice, Brentwood Dental Designs, in Epping NH.
My first appointment is 4/24/18 and I am looking forward to it. If I like the practice I will be changing my children’s care to this location as well. My former dental office was wonderful and the people there were great, but they use fluoride regularly in their patient care. They even recommended a special fluoride toothpaste for my daughter due to her groovy teeth. Yes, it is toothpaste with more fluoride in it then regular toothpaste. No thank you!
This is just a brief overview of what I have learned. If you would like more information please visit some the sites below.